Thursday 16 September 2021

Cross Country 2021 - 2nd Place!

 I dropped my water bottle and my just - washed sweatshirt. I really wish I could wear it, it is freezing! "Year 6 girls, line up, quickly!" I chase myself to the starting line, girls pushing, girls shoving, trying to get to the front of the line. I got there just in time, then girls came impelling through the crowd, like there was a pack of velociraptors chasing them. Arrggghhhh! "On your marks, get set, GO!" I prance off the wet grass, catching up to my speedy friend, Charlotte Alexander. Catch me if you can, my friend! I ran my heart out as I passed Charlotte, Lola, and Klara. Yesss! Now, I only have to catch the most rapid - fast, high - speed, energetic girl in the school. 

Charlotte McDiarmid.

I try to keep my pace up, and I succeed. I lean back, remembering last year how steep it is when you're running down a hill. It's steep. I say a quick 'hello!' to one of the FOW (Friends of Wainui) Cross Country helpers, Kate as she hits me with a 'good luck!' back. 

The Crowd

As I catch up to Charlotte M, I start to breathe heavily. The crowd cheers, then I hear my friend Te Atawhai yelling, "You can do it, GO Charlotte, OH YEAH, IT'S KALE'A! GOOO KALE'A!" She would definitely win the award for "Best Cheerleader". And like it was nothing, I was back at the starting line, on my second lap. By keeping track of Charlotte M, I tilt my head up every now and then to find her bright yellow t-shirt, and then I jolt my head around once or twice to see who's behind me. I know that doing this isn't always ideal, but I only did it once or twice. 

The End

I get back to Kate, on my second lap, and she takes a speedy photo of me (I think it was hard since I was going down a small hill at top speed), and then I catch my eye on Charlotte M. Then, like it was yesterday, or a couple minutes ago, I could see the two neon yellow poles sticking out of the ground marking the finish line. Yessss! I sprint as fast as I can, which is pretty hard since I am just about to puke and faint at the same time, but then everything goes silent. It is just like putting both of your fingers in your ears, and all you can hear is a quiet hymn of clapping and cheering, then, I am back in the present. I feel my feet jump and then I am flat on the ground, past the yellow poles. I am so happy.

Second place.


Thank you for reading my blog, Kale'a :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about